Past projects

Hello, blogland! Yes, I'm still here. Life has been hectic and I am still working on my second Sorbetto variation. The first is finished, but the pictures I took on Monday came out pretty terrible so I'm planning to do a re-shoot once this second one is complete. I have to say, it's looking pretty good! This may be one of my favorite things I've made so far.

Speaking of things I've made, I thought that I should show off some things that I made before this blog came along. To avoid photo overload, I'll just highlight one garment per post. I may as well start with my favorite!

Engagement photos copyright 2011 by RyaPhotos

This is a dress I made last summer for our engagement photos. It was also my first foray into pattern drafting/altering. Description from my Burdastyle page:

I got a great deal on a photoshoot through Groupon so of course I immediately thought “I should make my dress!”. I had a colorful, cutesy, 60’s inspired theme in mind and over time I came up with a design that I thought would fit perfectly. I couldn’t find a pattern exactly like what I wanted so I used the Sheath Dress pattern in Built By Wendy’s Dresses book and made a LOT of modifications! I had to use a lot of pattern drafting skills for the first time, which was pretty exciting and scary. I drafted the white collar myself using a tutorial I found online.
The outside fabric is a nice soft yellow swiss dot that I bought through Fashion Fabrics Club and it’s completely lined in matching fabric from JoAnn.
I love the way it turned out. I have worn self-made dresses out before but I think this is my first real success. The only problem I have is that, even with the outer fabric and lining, the dress is still too see-though to wear without a slip. So I went out and bought one – problem solved!



Engagement photos copyright 2011 by RyaPhotos

Follow Shona Stitches with Bloglovin

Labels: