Getting Organized

I've paused my sewing projects momentarily to deal with something that just can't be ignored any longer - my sewing room is a disaster! I set it up in a hurry after we moved into this house last year and I haven't organized it since. Everything is in boxes, in piles on shelves, in piles on tables, and I'm simply running out of working space here. I actually had my sewing room at our old apartment pretty well organized so I know what a huge difference it can make. So I finally took a trip to the store this weekend and picked up some supplies. It will take a couple more days to get the rest of the room in order, but at least my sewing table is looking nice.

Behold, the power of magnets!


Sorry for the blurriness. Obviously my next project will need to be better lighting! It's like a cave in here. I have a stick light next to my sewing table but I really need something better.

I got the magnetic board idea from Crafterhours. Check it out if you haven't seen it floating around Pinterest already. I found all the supplies you see here at Wal-Mart and Office Depot, except for the magnetic spice containers (the round ones up top). Those came from Ikea a couple of years ago. My scissors, measuring tape, french curves, and rulers are all hanging from 3M Command Strip hooks. I love the board I got because it also doubles as a dry-erase board. I'm not sure why I'd need to write on it but, hey, you never know!

The blue and white blob you see hanging from a clip at the bottom is a wrist pin cushion that I made in a hurry last night.


I've been meaning to make one for a long time and, well, I guess I've just decided to do all the things I've been putting off RIGHT NOW. While putting off my other projects. It's a giant circle of procrastination!

I think I may have made it a wee bit too big? Ok, so it's huge. It looks like a giant blue and white cupcake with sprinkles on top. But it only took 15 minutes to make and now I know how to make 100 more of them! Which I may decide to do one day if I ever find myself extremely bored and surrounded by bottle caps, scrap fabric, and spare time.

So how do you organize your sewing space? Or is it pretty much a disaster area like mine?


Labels: ,