My wedding is in 19 days, you guys! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I've been cutting patterns, dying fabric, and sewing nonstop for the last 2 weeks. Dress #2 will be finished tonight and Dress #3 starts tomorrow. For now, I'm happy to finally show off the fruits of all my hard work :)
Here is my Maid of Honor, Amy, in her finished Cambie Dress by Sewaholic Patterns:
A detail shot of the gold lace overlay on the sleeves:
Let's just say the lace here was a happy accident, but I love it! While I was dying the fabric somehow one of the sleeve pieces remained almost totally undyed. I stuck it back in the pot and spent hours trying to make it match, but that one oddball piece still came out just slightly darker than the rest of the dress. Amy had picked this fabric out when we went shopping so I thought it would be a nice touch and help conceal my mistake.
Coincidentally, after my second bridesmaid just happened to pick out gold shoes, I decided each dress shall have a touch of gold somewhere.
I'll go into more detail about my dying adventures later because it's really pretty ridiculous the lengths I went to in order to get these just right. I have some tricks I've learned that will hopefully help save some other brave seamstress a whole lot of agony!
I feel like I've finally mastered the invisible zipper! All these years I've been struggling with a stupid plastic YKK attachment I bought from JoAnn and a regular zipper foot (not a narrow one, either). Lo and behold, it turns out that once you have an invisible zipper foot that actually fits your machine it's not that hard at all! Wow, what a revelation. Check out the back:
Ok, not perfect, but still - SO much better!
I'm afraid I won't be able to post much until after the wedding, but I will have a ton of DIY tips and projects to share afterward so watch this space in October! Next week I'm hoping to share some pics of the second dress, made from Colette Patterns' Pastille.
Labels: dress, finished projects, sewing, Wedding