Changes

Sorry if any of you stumbled upon my blog yesterday as I was struggling to upload my new design. If so, you were probably wondering what the heck is going on!

Graphics and web design used to be a big hobby for me like...10 years ago? Things have changed quite a bit since then! But since starting this blog I've been playing around with graphic programs again and learning CSS. The design I had before was a premade template I bought off of Etsy and tweaked. So I'm happy to finally have a design up that is totally my own! What do you think?

I still need to finish creating pages for the links up top. I was so sick of staring at my computer screen by the end of last night that I had to make myself stop!

I've gone through some major changes lately...something I've alluded to here but have avoided really talking about. Last month I lost my job. It wasn't totally unexpected, and to be honest it came as sort of a relief after many months of stressing over the possibility of this happening.

All I've been able to think about for the past year as I sat in my little cubicle filing charts and checking spreadsheets is that I want to do something creative. Something satisfying. Something I can be passionate about. I've gone through countless ideas and schemes and it seems like every week I'd have a new plan for how I'm going to make my dreams happen. But in the end, the comfort and stability of having a regular 8-5 with benefits always won out.

As soon as I got the bad news, I drove over to the local sewing dealership I frequent. I'd been thinking for a while about how much I'd like to teach sewing classes and already had a couple of ideas mapped out in my head. I asked if they would be interested in me teaching there and, as luck would have it, they not only wanted me to teach - they wanted to hire me on full time!

So there's my exciting news. Next month I will start working at A-1 Sewing here in Gainesville selling Husqvarna machines and teaching sewing classes. In the meantime, I'm spending my days brushing up on my basics and developing sewing classes aimed at beginners. Which takes a lot more work and planning than I'd anticipated! But teaching is definitely the part I'm most excited about.

During my first two weeks of unemployment, I really enjoyed the freedom of having time to do whatever I wanted and felt super creative and productive. I was sewing up a storm and cooking and cleaning and gardening and making DIY iced coffees at home (totally failed at that, by the way). But now the novelty of not having anywhere to be at 8am has totally worn off.

I'm SOOOOOOOOO bored, you guys!

A-1 is in the middle of moving to a new location, which is why I have to wait until July to start. I'm so ready to get back to work!

Hey, at least I have sewing time, right? Why am I complaining?!?


Labels: