Sewing In Public - My First Booth

Last week I received an invitation to Maker's Fest here in Gainesville. It's a small event designed to help bring the creative community together and raise funds for community development. Of course the title caught my eye ("I'm a maker!!!!"), but then I read through the description which said they were still looking for DIYers to participate. I contacted the event organizer....three days before the event! And yes, they still had space. And the booth was free. How could I turn that down?!

I had two days to design and print business cards, find a tent, and get my class details and samples ready to show off. It was crazy! But I honestly think I work best under pressure when my adrenaline is going and all I can think about is getting my vision together. Granted, it was a small vision, but I had a good idea of how I wanted my booth to work.

I wanted to get people interested in sewing, show what they can do, and spread the word about my upcoming sewing classes. So I decided to bring along my two dress forms wearing samples of each of my garment classes (Gathered Skirt and Staple Dress). And I decided that I wanted to actually sew in public so that people can see the process for themselves, and that making your own clothes is totally doable!



Photos by Ana Karolina

I had SO MUCH FUN!

Seriously, if you ever get the chance to sew outside in public - do it! Make sure it's something easy that you already know how to make well (that's why I picked the gathered skirt) because concentrating can be a challenge in that setting. But something about being able to sew outside with a cool breeze blowing and a live band playing and people dancing right in front of me was just effing amazing. I was bobbing along while pressing my seams and stitching away.

People were coming up to my booth all day and I got to talk to them about sewing. It was so great seeing their eyes light up once they realized the stuff I had on display was handmade! I had lots of great conversations throughout the day and met some very interesting folks. Since my class schedule hasn't been finalized yet, I made an email list to follow up with anyone interested. I had a ton of people sign up!

Even though I was talking and handing out business cards all day, I somehow still managed to finish the skirt I started that afternoon, cutting and everything. 


Sorry for the poor lighting here, it was almost dark when the event ended.

All in all, a very successful day! It was just what I needed to get out of this funk I've been in and get excited about starting my new job. Which will hopefully be next week :) I can't wait!

Labels: ,