Since my last two projects were tops, I thought this week I should make something for the other half of my body. I decided to use a pattern I've had in my stash for a while but never used - Simplicity 0466.
It's a "Learn to Sew" pattern so I thought at least the instructions should be nice. I love this silhouette. I have a very similar skirt that I wear constantly, but it's in a crazy print and I've often wished I had one like it in a solid color.
I used a teal lawn that I just ordered from Fashion Fabrics Club recently. Then I made a lining out of black cotton from my stash (not included in the pattern, but it was pretty easy to draft). I used what little scraps I had left from my Ava fabric to make a contrast binding over the pockets. I'm sort of torn over whether I like that detail or not.
It's a bit wrinkled, but for cotton I'm actually surprised at how well it held up after wearing it to work all day!
While the instructions were clear and easy to follow, I would consider this more of an "advanced beginner" project. There was gathering, facings, interfacing, hand stitching, and a zipper to deal with. It did teach me a new technique for inserting a zipper that made it a lot easier. Basically, you baste your seam together where the zipper will go first, then baste and sew the zipper on, then unpick the basting at the seam. I've seen this described before but never actually tried it. I've been converted!
Fabric - 1 yard of teal cotton lawn from Fashion Fabrics Club - $4.45
+ Maybe 3/4 yard of black quilting cotton from stash
Pattern - Simplicity 0466 - stash
Notions -Scrap fabric for bias tape, fusible interfacing, zipper, thread - all from stash
Total Cost - $4.45. I'm just counting what I've bought recently, the rest has been a resident of my craft room for so long that it may as well be free.
I know I mentioned buying a ton of fabrics from FFC on my last post, and that is part of the dilemma I face now. I bought 1 yard of everything except for some cotton twill that I intend to make a pair of Clovers out of. It's mostly all lawn and lightweight knits that I was thinking would work well for shirts. Well, it turns out most shirts use more than one yard (as I learned the hard way last week!).
I just happen to be teaching a class on making the Sorbetto top soon and need to plan that out. So I've decided the best way to get both taken care of at once is to make up a batch of Sorbetto variations out of my new stash of 1 yard shirt fabrics! So that's what I intend to do this week.
My fabric from Mood has officially shipped so next week I will finally have a chance to redeem myself and finish the Ava top!
Labels: finished projects, sewing, simplicity skirt, Spring Sewing Challenge